Squiggly Worm
Raine wants to wish you a happy birthday Poppy!
Today, Raine had her doctor appointment. She is healthy and well. She had her vaccines shots and cried really hard, but when Todd picked her up, she stopped crying. It melted my heart knowing that Raine feels secured with her daddy. I asked the doctor about Raine crying most evening, usually between 5 and 10pm. The doctor said she has colic. We have to be patient for the next few weeks. Hopefully the colic will go away sooner than we expect her to. So far, we have figured out that she likes to be carried around (with us walking around the house) and she likes to be swaddled and put in the bouncer. That helps! We are learning what makes her calm down after screaming and crying for a while. As for grunting, it has turned to grunting then crying. It was like it really hurt her when she tries to pass gas or poop. It was so hard seeing her like that. I decided to stop drinking dairy and stop eating tomatoes. No changes. Then on Monday, Raine and I visited Leslie and her baby, Baylee. Leslie wanted to hold Raine. When she was holding Raine, she said that she thinks Raine needed burping (even though I have burped her right after feeding her) so she burped Raine. She kept on burping Raine on and off. In my mind, I thought “It won’t make a difference” but guess what? The next time I fed her, she has been eating longer. She normally eats for 5 minutes every hour, but this time she ate for 12 minutes. I started to wonder if it was because Leslie kept on burping her (she is a mother of 3, no wonder). So I tried burping her every time I see her grunt or whenever she looked uncomfortable. It seemed to help a lot. For 3 days now, she grunts a lot less. Also Leslie suggested me to try swaddling her, even though Raine gets hot easily. That night, Todd and I went to buy a swaddler because if I try to swaddle her with a receiving blanket, she finds a way to “unlock” herself. That night, she slept for 4 hours! Hoorah! Last night, she slept for 3 hours. I guess swaddling her helps her sleep a little longer :) Ever since we visited Leslie and Baylee, Raine seem to be doing better. I asked her doctor if not drinking/eating dairy is going to help. He said I don’t have to change my diet. So I’m going to go back to dairy! I’m one happy lady now :)
It was great seeing Raine meeting her first friend, Baylee. They are so different, their appearances and their personalities. Raine is active, moving her arms and legs all the times while Baylee is so relaxed. I can tell Baylee is going to be an easy going kid. They both are 5 days apart, Baylee is older than her. Soon, she will be meeting her another friend, Easton, who is 4 weeks older than her. It will be neat seeing Baylee, Easton, and Raine growing up together. Baylee and Raine probably will fight over Easton :) Also, there is another baby, Griffin, which Raine will be meeting soon. Raine is 11 days older than Griffin. A lot of babies here in Tucson!
Oh, I had left Raine with her Aunt Stacy, for 3 hours last week. It was the first time that I left Raine for 3 hours (I did leave her with both of her grandmothers for 1 hour) and she did great. It was nerve-wrecking at first but then when Stacy paged me, telling me that she is asleep, I felt relieved :) Stacy did a great job for her first time babysitting a newborn baby!
So far, Raine has been doing well other than her colic. She is more alert now. Her eyes are starting to change; they look like they will be green or hazel. She has gained weight, 11 pounds and 4 oz. She is now 22.5 inches long (was born 21 inches). I am waiting for her to smile whenever she sees me or Todd, which should be happening anytime now (on average, babies who are 6 weeks old are able to do that). Right now, she only smiles whenever I touch her cheeks or kiss her. This morning, she was moving around in her swaddler, so I opened up the swaddler. She woke up and smiled. It melted my heart seeing her so happy! Todd and I kissed her and rub her chest for a while; she was smiling the whole time. Aww!! Then of course, she got hungry.
I have a nickname for Raine, squiggly worm. It is because she squiggles and wiggles whenever she sleeps on my chest or when she was about to wake up and she looked like a little squiggly worm :)
PS. check out www.toddandjanis.com for Sept. pictures :)
Today, Raine had her doctor appointment. She is healthy and well. She had her vaccines shots and cried really hard, but when Todd picked her up, she stopped crying. It melted my heart knowing that Raine feels secured with her daddy. I asked the doctor about Raine crying most evening, usually between 5 and 10pm. The doctor said she has colic. We have to be patient for the next few weeks. Hopefully the colic will go away sooner than we expect her to. So far, we have figured out that she likes to be carried around (with us walking around the house) and she likes to be swaddled and put in the bouncer. That helps! We are learning what makes her calm down after screaming and crying for a while. As for grunting, it has turned to grunting then crying. It was like it really hurt her when she tries to pass gas or poop. It was so hard seeing her like that. I decided to stop drinking dairy and stop eating tomatoes. No changes. Then on Monday, Raine and I visited Leslie and her baby, Baylee. Leslie wanted to hold Raine. When she was holding Raine, she said that she thinks Raine needed burping (even though I have burped her right after feeding her) so she burped Raine. She kept on burping Raine on and off. In my mind, I thought “It won’t make a difference” but guess what? The next time I fed her, she has been eating longer. She normally eats for 5 minutes every hour, but this time she ate for 12 minutes. I started to wonder if it was because Leslie kept on burping her (she is a mother of 3, no wonder). So I tried burping her every time I see her grunt or whenever she looked uncomfortable. It seemed to help a lot. For 3 days now, she grunts a lot less. Also Leslie suggested me to try swaddling her, even though Raine gets hot easily. That night, Todd and I went to buy a swaddler because if I try to swaddle her with a receiving blanket, she finds a way to “unlock” herself. That night, she slept for 4 hours! Hoorah! Last night, she slept for 3 hours. I guess swaddling her helps her sleep a little longer :) Ever since we visited Leslie and Baylee, Raine seem to be doing better. I asked her doctor if not drinking/eating dairy is going to help. He said I don’t have to change my diet. So I’m going to go back to dairy! I’m one happy lady now :)
It was great seeing Raine meeting her first friend, Baylee. They are so different, their appearances and their personalities. Raine is active, moving her arms and legs all the times while Baylee is so relaxed. I can tell Baylee is going to be an easy going kid. They both are 5 days apart, Baylee is older than her. Soon, she will be meeting her another friend, Easton, who is 4 weeks older than her. It will be neat seeing Baylee, Easton, and Raine growing up together. Baylee and Raine probably will fight over Easton :) Also, there is another baby, Griffin, which Raine will be meeting soon. Raine is 11 days older than Griffin. A lot of babies here in Tucson!
Oh, I had left Raine with her Aunt Stacy, for 3 hours last week. It was the first time that I left Raine for 3 hours (I did leave her with both of her grandmothers for 1 hour) and she did great. It was nerve-wrecking at first but then when Stacy paged me, telling me that she is asleep, I felt relieved :) Stacy did a great job for her first time babysitting a newborn baby!
So far, Raine has been doing well other than her colic. She is more alert now. Her eyes are starting to change; they look like they will be green or hazel. She has gained weight, 11 pounds and 4 oz. She is now 22.5 inches long (was born 21 inches). I am waiting for her to smile whenever she sees me or Todd, which should be happening anytime now (on average, babies who are 6 weeks old are able to do that). Right now, she only smiles whenever I touch her cheeks or kiss her. This morning, she was moving around in her swaddler, so I opened up the swaddler. She woke up and smiled. It melted my heart seeing her so happy! Todd and I kissed her and rub her chest for a while; she was smiling the whole time. Aww!! Then of course, she got hungry.
I have a nickname for Raine, squiggly worm. It is because she squiggles and wiggles whenever she sleeps on my chest or when she was about to wake up and she looked like a little squiggly worm :)
PS. check out www.toddandjanis.com for Sept. pictures :)


1 Comments:
Hi there! Julie (Tidbit/Feldman) told me about your blog and I checked it out. I was THRILLED to read that you had a natural childbirth! It is definitely the most rewarding experience! My son, Lochlan, was born at home in water. It was so awesome! He's about three weeks older than Raine. Everything I read on your blog, I went through with Lochlan! It's nice not to feel alone! =D
Lochlan has what we call a "fussy time" between 4 and 8 PM. I hate the word colic because it's so negative. =P He's getting better each day because we find ways to comfort him: by taking him out for a walk in the sling, giving him a bath, etc. The stage will pass soon. The smiles we get from Lochlan help us forget his fussy times. =D
I loved the pics of Raine...what an adorable little girl she is! =) Thanks for sharing!
Check out my blog: http://www.jimikiwi.blogspot.com
Take care! =)
~Keri
Post a Comment
<< Home